Hatchet by Gary Paulsen


I really enjoyed the first half of Hatchet. I think it is an engaging story about survival and overcoming odds. The story is centered around a young boy named Brian Robeson. His parents had just recently gotten divorced and he is heading to the Canadian wilderness to spend time with his dad for the summer. Before he leaves for Canada his mom gives him a gift, a hatchet. While flying Brian notices the pilot of their small plane begins to have a heart attack. The pilot is no longer in control of the plane and Brian must take over to try and land safely. He was able to crash land the plane in water, however, now he is stuck in the wilderness, alone, with only a hatchet. I thought this was where the real story began and the reader could tell this was going to be a trying and hard journey for Brian.





After the plane crash Brian's first actions were to crawl out of the water and he slept until the next day, exhausted and hurting from what just happened. That next day he realized he was going to need resources like food, water and shelter. He had limited knowledge of how to survive in the woods. He made himself a shelter and a fire. Unfortunately, his hunt for food did not turn out so well. He ate poisonous berries and got very sick as a result. but this wasn't his only challenge int he first half of the book. He also faced the threat of bears, hunger, other bugs and strong emotions that pushed him to his limits.

This book really made me question my ability to survive if I was thrust into a situation like this. What would I do? How would I react? Would I be able to think quick and act like Brian did when he crash landed?

I think the book, while a tale of survival, also talks a lot about the feelings of loneliness, despair and determination that Brian felt. I think all of those feelings would be natural for anyone, regardless of age, to feel in that situation. Also, I think Brian came to see the significance of his tool and how lucky he was to have the hatchet throughout these challenges. So far in the book he has stepped up in a situation that would tear most people down. Brian has shown that he is courageous and has a strong will to survive.



Comments

  1. I believe you pointed out great emotions from the book. Loneliness and despair. I think some great writing assignments would be asking students how they would handle those feelings. I wonder if he would still be as courageous if even one other person was there? Another assignment would be to give students only the tools that he had, before reading each chapter, and as students how they would survive using them, then they could see how close they were to the character. Like you I am sure other students would question their capabilities of survival, making these assignments fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment